(202) 785-0764, ext. 101
Experience | Awards | Education
Youth Today March 1998-present: Editor of national trade newspaper for
professional youth workers. Responsible for assigning and editing stories
from staff and free-lancers, writing cover feature stories, supervising
reporters, art director and interns.
- A Father's Place: Parenting column
published regularly in The Gazette weekly newspaper chain (Maryland), and at
The National Fatherhood
- Adjunct Faculty: Philip Merrill College
of Journalism, 2005-present.
- Free-lance: Recent contributor to
Washington Post Style section, Newsday, Child, Parenting, American
Journalism Review, Baltimore Sun. Past free-lance work includes New York
Times, Woman's Day, Spy, Long Island Voice, N.Y. Daily News.
- Car & Travel Monthly January
1994-February 1998: Senior editor of 700,000-cir. AAA magazine. Responsible
for cover stories, editorials and briefs, editing free-lance copy. Served as
AAA spokesman in New York, with extensive experience doing national
newspaper, television and radio interviews.
- "Scout's Honor" Author of investigative
book about child molesters in the Boy Scouts of America. May 1994, Prima
Publishing; paperback, 1995.
- ABC-News 1993-94: Consultant for "Day
One" segments on sex abuse in the Boy Scouts and firefighter arsonists.
- The Washington Times November
1986-October 1992: Metro reporter and part-time desk editor with extensive
experience covering beats, initiating investigative projects, coordinating
teams of reporters on breaking news. Specialized in crime, poverty and
- New York City Tribune September
1984-November 1986: Metro reporter and desk editor, responsible for breaking
news and investigative projects.
- Watertown Daily Times January-September
1984: Sole beat reporter for communities 100 miles from main office. Covered
government, schools, business, crime and community life.
- Bridgehampton Sun May 1981-July 1983:
Managing editor of Long Island weekly. Covered government, crime, real
estate, environment. Supervised staff of five reporters.
- Society of Professional Journalists, Long
Island: 1st place, magazine opinion writing, 2000; 3rd place, humor writing,
1998; 1st place, editorial writing, 1983; Cub Reporter of the Year, 1982.
- Society of Professional Journalists,
Washington, D.C.: lst place, spot news, 1989.
- Maryland-Del.-D.C. Press Association:
First place, series, 1991; Honorable mention, features, 1991; 2nd place,
government reporting, 1989.
- National Newspaper Association: Honorable
mention, series, 1992; 3rd place, investigative reporting, 1989.
- University of Missouri, Science School of
Journalism: 1st place, reporting on interpersonal violence, 1991.
- National Headliner Awards: 3rd place,
- New York State Press Association: 3rd
place, weekly newspaper columns, 1981.
Merrill College of Journalism: Master of Journalism, 2004.
- University of
Dayton, Ohio: B.A., Communication Arts, 1981. Magna cum laude.
- Flyer News: News editor of U. of Dayton
semi-weekly. Named best columnist, 1980, 1981.
- Speech & Debate Team: President, 1979-81. Won 36
awards at intercollegiate competitions.
Back to the Top