The Chesapeake Bay Foundation suspended its lawsuit against the Environmental Protection Agency filed in January over Chesapeake Bay cleanup, according to a CBF news release Wednesday.
The foundation said it will hold the suit while it monitors EPA action on bay cleanup mandated by President Obama’s Chesapeake Bay executive order, which required that plans be made and executed for bay restoration.
“Since then EPA has begun to step up to the plate,” said CBF President William Baker in a written statement.
“As many actions that should be included in a final settlement may not be resolved until EPA has completed the notice and comment process and issued the final strategy in May, a stay is appropriate,” Baker said. “If, during negotiations, we do not believe that EPA is making the necessary commitments, the stay order allows us to reinstate our suit and proceed with litigation.”
CBF will stay the lawsuit until June 30, 2010, according to John Surrick, director of media relations at CBF.
- By Capital News Service’s Aleksandra Robinson