By Lisa D. Tossey
Thursday, April 15, 2004
1. “Chesapeake” is derived from “Chesepiook," a Native American name that means what?
Waters of the Big
Great Shellfish Bay
Home of Reflective
Beautiful Blue Bay
2. The Chesapeake Bay arose from the flooding of which river valley more than 12,000 years ago?
3. An estuary is a body of water in which freshwater and saltwater mix when rivers and streams flow into an area that opens into an ocean.
True or false: The Chesapeake Bay is the largest estuary in North America.
4. Water runoff from several states and the District of Columbia affect the Chesapeake Bay watershed. How many states have rivers and streams that drain into the
5. The average depth of the Chesapeake Bay is about:
6. About how many gallons of water does the Chesapeake Bay hold?