Han-Hoan Dang settled in Maryland and now helps other refugees and immigrants as a way of paying it forward.
Laurel resident and artist Ada Ghuman arrived in the U.S. at age 7, fleeing Cuba with only her 3-year-old brother.
- Finding the Right Language: What Should Journalists Call Illegal Immigrants?
- Baltimore Immigration Court Among Nation's Best
- Free Citizenship Classes Help Residents Get Ready for Test
- College Grad Exposes Undocumented Status Hoping to Make DREAM Act Into Reality
- Lawyers Find New Ways to Combat Immigration Fraud
Explore the waves of refugee migration to Maryland since 1990. (By Ilana Yergin)
- Urban Farm Gives Immigrants Training
- Professor Aims to Dispel Myths About Immigrants in Pr. George's
- Restaurant Inspires Decades of Loyalty Through Good Food, Community Involvement
- Takoma Park Stands Behind Its Immigration Sanctuary, Resisting Tough Efforts in Western Md.
- Washington County Adds Jail Beds, Eyes Immigration Program
View how U.S. media have referred to undocumented immigrants. (By Karen Carmichael)
- Immigration Activists March in Washington
- Rally Focuses Attention on Immigration Reform
- Germantown Man Pleads Guilty to Posing as Immigration Officer
- Hispanic-owned Businesses Climb in Maryland at Faster Rate Than Nation
- DREAM's Demise Sets Maryland Students Back
- Immigrants Become Americans in Towson Celebration
Could you pass the U.S. citizenship test? Test your knowledge of questions asked. (By Stacy Jones)
Published: Published Dec. 17, 2010; last updated Dec. 31, 2010
Special report banner graphic, front and story template designed by Maryland Newsline's Karen Carmichael and Ilana Yergin, with Capital News Service's Stacy Jones. Project reporting by Maryland Newsline's Karen Carmichael, Ilana Yergin, Tami Le, Rabiah Alicia Burks and Michelle J. Nealy; Capital News Service's Michaelle Bond and Jones; and Carnegie Seminar's Andy Marso, Maite Fernandez, Maggie Clark and Jessica MacLeod. Editing by Maryland Newsline's Chris Harvey, Capital News Service's Rafael Lorente and Adrianne Flynn, and Carnegie Seminar's Deb Nelson and Stanton Paddock.
Copyright © 2010 University of Maryland Philip Merrill College of Journalism. All rights reserved.